WAYNE, N.J. – Five Pioneer pitchers combined for a one-hit shutout as No. 24 William Paterson (18-5, 9-3 NJAC) secured an 11-0 baseball victory against Rutgers-Newark (1-11, 1-11 NJAC) in baseball action April 23 at Jeff Albies Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- A one-out error put senior catcher Dylan Habeeb (Wayne, N.J./Wayne Hills) aboard during the bottom of the third inning. Junior third baseman Steve Yelin (River Edge, N.J./River Dell Regional) tripled to right field and senior first baseman Carson Weis (River Vale, N.J./Pascack Valley Regional) followed with a sacrifice fly to left field, making it a 2-0 score.
- WP crossed the plate four times in the fourth. A Frankie Deane (Dumont, N.J./Dumont) walk and groundout left him on second base with two outs, and senior center fielder Steven DiGirolamo (Dumont, N.J./Dumont) promptly delivered him home with a base hit through the right side. Senior shortstop Matt Ferrara (Paramus, N.J./Paramus) hit a ground-rule double to left and Habeeb walked to load the bases for Yelin, who dropped a single between three fielders in shallow right-center field that plated two runners. Yelin and Habeeb then executed the first-and-third double steal, pushing the lead to 6-0.
- Junior right fielder Adrian Alarcon (Belleville, N.J./Belleville) started the home half of the sixth inning with a single to first, advanced to second when junior designated hitter Dan Carter (Bloomfield, N.J./Bloomfield) was hit by a pitch, moved to third on a groundout and scored via Colin Lombardo’s (Edison, N.J./Edison) sac fly to left field.
- DiGirolamo opened the bottom of the eighth with a homer to right, his third of the season. Two batters later, Habeeb drilled a pitch that the right fielder lost in the sun, ending up down the line and into the right-field corner for an inside-the-park home run. Yelin then doubled, Weis walked and Alarcon singled before getting caught in a run down, but not before both runners touched home for the final two runs of the game.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Yelin finished 4-for-5 while contributing a double, triple, three RBI and two runs scored. Habeeb was 3-for-4 with a homer and three runs.
- DiGirolamo posted a 2-for-5 effort while adding a home run, two RBI and two runs scored, and Ferrara and Alarcon each had a pair of hits.
- Senior Jason Palmeri (Glen Rock, N.J./Glen Rock) struck out six and walked five during his 5.0 innings as the starter, giving up just one hit (4-2).
- Freshman Pat Warburton (Paramus, N.J./Paramus) tossed the sixth inning, striking out one, and senior Zac Polzer (North Haledon, N.J./Passaic County Tech) had a punchout and a base on balls in 1.0 inning. Carter tossed the top of the eighth, walking one, and Alarcon struck out three batters while working the ninth.
- The Scarlet Raiders’ lone hit was a second-inning triple as WP registered its third shutout of the season.
- William Paterson plays a doubleheader against The College of New Jersey Saturday, April 24, at 11:30 a.m. at Rider University.