NEWARK, N.J. – No. 24 William Paterson (17-5, 8-3 NJAC) spotted host Rutgers-Newark (1-10, 1-10 NJAC) a 3-0 first-inning lead before scoring 10 unanswered runs for a 10-3 baseball victory April 22.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- A single, sacrifice bunt, run-scoring base hit, single and two-run double handed the Scarlet Raiders a 3-0 first-inning edge.
- The Pioneers tied the score during their next at-bat. Base hits by senior left fielder Frankie Deane (Dumont, N.J./Dumont) and junior designated hitter Dan Carter (Bloomfield, N.J./Bloomfield) set up an RBI-double by junior second baseman Colin Lombardo (Edison, N.J./Edison). After a groundout, senior shortstop Matt Ferrara (Paramus, N.J./Paramus) delivered a two-run double to right center.
- Deane singled in junior third baseman Steve Yelin (River Edge, N.J./River Dell Regional), who had opened the third frame with a double to center field, for a 4-3 game in the top of the third.
- WP added one more to its tally in the fourth when senior center fielder Steven DiGirolamo (Dumont, N.J./Dumont) launched a leadoff home run over the right-field fence.
- Junior right fielder Adrian Alarcon (Belleville, N.J./Belleville) was issued a walk to start the top of the fifth inning, and two batters later Carter’s homer pushed the advantage to 7-3.
- William Paterson scored during its fifth consecutive at-bat thanks to a two-run sixth, using a Yelin double to center, Carson Weis (River Vale, N.J./Pascack Valley Regional) triple down the right-field line and Alarcon run-scoring single through the left side.
- One last runner touched home during the top half of the ninth when Ferrara singled in DiGirolamo.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Ferrara was 3-for-6 while adding a double and three RBI, and Yelin finished 2-for-5 with a pair of doubles and two runs scored.
- Carter and DiGirolamo each hit a home run.
- Junior Jordan Manne (Mahwah, N.J./Mahwah) improved to 2-2 with 5.0 innings of six-hit, three-run action. He struck out three and walked four.
- Junior Matt Lawler (Linwood, N.J./Mainland Regional) tossed 2.0 innings and allowed a hit and a walk while registering two strikeouts. Senior Jason Rivera (Clifton, N.J./Clifton) worked the final 2.0 innings, giving up one hit with two strikeouts and a pair of walks.
- William Paterson hosts Rutgers-Newark Friday, April 23, at 3:30 p.m.