MAHWAH, N.J. – The No. 23 William Paterson baseball team (13-2, 4-0 NJAC) posted its second straight shutout and its seventh consecutive victory with a 5-0 decision at Ramapo (3-3, 2-2 NJAC) April 9.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Back-to-back doubles by senior left fielder Frankie Deane (Dumont, N.J./Dumont) and junior second baseman Colin Lombardo (Edison, N.J./Edison) plated the Pioneers’ first run of the game, and an error led to senior shortstop Matt Ferrara (Paramus, N.J./Paramus) successfully executing a squeeze bunt, handing WP a 2-0 fifth-inning edge.
- Base hits by senior first baseman Carson Weis (River Vale, N.J./Pascack Valley Regional) and junior third baseman Chris Liriano (Bergenfield, N.J./Bergenfield), as well as a Lombardo hit by pitch, loaded the bases for William Paterson during the top of the sixth inning. Senior center fielder Steven DiGirolamo (Dumont, N.J./Dumont) drew a five-pitch walk, forcing across Weis to make it a 3-0 game.
- Ramapo broke up the no-hit bid with a fifth-inning double, and threatened in the seventh with bases loaded and two outs, but a ground ball ended the frame.
- The Pioneers tacked on two ninth-inning insurance runs with a Weis base hit to center, an Adrian Alarcon (Belleville, N.J./Belleville) walk, a double steal and a Deane two-run single down the left-field line.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Weis finished 4-for-5 while scoring two runs, and Lombardo went 2-for-4 with a double, RBI and run scored. Deane had a 2-for-5 performance, adding a double, run and two RBI.
- Senior Jason Palmeri (Glen Rock, N.J./Glen Rock) scattered three hits over 8.0 innings, registering six strikeouts (3-1). Junior Riley Weis (River Vale, N.J./Pascack Valley Regional) took over in the ninth inning and struck out two of the three batters he faced.
- William Paterson hosts Kean for a doubleheader Saturday, April 10, at 11:30 a.m.