WAYNE, N.J. – The No. 23 William Paterson baseball team (12-2, 3-0 NJAC) shut out visiting Ramapo (3-2, 2-1 NJAC), 8-0, April 8.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Senior shortstop Matt Ferrara (Paramus, N.J./Paramus) had a one-out infield single, advanced to second on a Dylan Habeeb (Wayne, N.J./Wayne Hills) groundout, and scored thanks to a Steve Yelin (River Edge, N.J./River Dell Regional) base hit to left field, handing WP a 1-0 first-inning edge.
- The Pioneers broke the game open with a four-run fifth. Senior center fielder Steven DiGirolamo (Dumont, N.J./Dumont) started the frame with a hit by pitch and stolen base, moved to third on a wild pitch and then trotted home when Habeeb launched a home run over the left-field fence. Yelin drew a walk and scored when senior first baseman Carson Weis (River Vale, N.J./Pascack Valley Regional) tripled to straight-away center, and three batters later Weis touched the plate after junior right fielder Adrian Alarcon (Belleville, N.J./Belleville) singled to center field.
- WP made it an 8-0 game in the sixth. A one-out Habeeb base hit, a Yelin hit by pitch and a Weis single loaded the bases for junior third baseman Chris Liriano (Bergenfield, N.J./Bergenfield), who plated all three runners with his triple to right-center field.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Habeeb went 2-for-4 with a homer, two RBI and a pair of runs scored. Liriano contributed a three-run triple, and Ferrara and Weis each had a pair of hits.
- Sophomore Darmany Rivas (Bloomfield, N.J./Bloomfield) improved to 3-0 with 6.0 innings of four-hit ball, striking out five and walking two.
- Junior Dan Carter (Bloomfield, N.J./Bloomfield) struck out four of the eight batters he faced during his 2.0 innings of work. Freshman James Longstreet (Cape May Court House, N.J./Cape May Tech) pitched the ninth inning and allowed a hit and a walk while posting one strikeout.
- William Paterson plays a single game at Ramapo Friday, April 9, at 3:30 p.m.