WAYNE, N.J. – The William Paterson baseball team (11-2, 2-0 NJAC) cruised to an opening 18-7 victory against Rutgers-Camden (1-7, 0-2 NJAC) April 3, then finished off a conference-opening sweep with a 3-1 win.
Because the games were supposed to be held in Camden, the Pioneers were the visiting team for each game contested at Jeff Albies Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- A two-run triple and a sacrifice fly allowed the Scarlet Raptors the cross the plate first, building a 3-0 first-inning lead.
- The Pioneers got back those three runs during the top half of the second. Senior first baseman Carson Weis (River Vale, N.J./Pascack Valley Regional) led off by reaching first on a swinging strikeout that was thrown away by the catcher. Back-to-back doubles by junior right fielder Adrian Alarcon (Belleville, N.J./Belleville) and senior left fielder Frankie Deane (Dumont, N.J./Dumont) scored one run, and junior second baseman Colin Lombardo’s (Edison, N.J./Edison) groundout added another tally. Two batters later senior center fielder Steven DiGirolamo (Dumont, N.J./Dumont) plated a runner with a fielder’s choice.
- A triple and single to start the bottom of the second pushed Rutgers-Camden ahead, 4-3.
- WP took control with a three-run third. Junior designated hitter Steve Yelin (River Edge, N.J./River Dell Regional) and Weis were both issued walks, Alarcon singled in Yelin, Deane walked and Lombardo hit a two-run single to right.
- The Pioneers made it a 12-4 game during the top of the fourth inning. Yelin had a one-out base hit, Weis and Alarcon drew walks, and Deane singled in Yelin. Lombardo was issued a bases-loaded walk, junior third baseman Chris Liriano (Bergenfield, N.J./Bergenfield) drilled a three-run triple to left field, and he later crossed the plate via an error.
- Deane had a one-out single in the fifth, went to second on a balk, advanced to third on Lombardo’s base hit, and scored via a DiGirolamo fielder’s choice.
- Rutgers-Camden used three base hits to plate a single fifth-inning score, making it a 13-5 game.
- William Paterson struck for five more runs during the top half of the sixth inning thanks to a Yelin sac fly, a Weis RBI-single and a Liriano bases-loaded triple.
- A walk, triple and error added the Scarlet Raptors’ final two runs during the home half of the sixth.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Liriano was 2-for-2 with a pair of three-run triples, adding three walks. Deane went 4-for-4 while posting a double, two RBI and four runs scored. Lombardo had three hits, four RBI and two runs.
- Senior starter Jason Palmeri (Glen Rock, N.J./Glen Rock) surrendered four runs, seven hits and one walk in 1.2 innings of action. Junior Matt Lawler (Linwood, N.J./Mainland Regional) tossed the next 5.1 innings and allowed three runs (two earned), seven hits and a walk with two strikeouts (3-0).
- Junior Riley Weis (River Vale, N.J./Pascack Valley Regional) struck out two of the three batters he faced, and senior Jason Rivera (Clifton, N.J./Clifton) gave up a hit and a walk while striking out one during the ninth inning.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- WP took a 2-0 lead during the top of the second inning. Alarcon reached on a one-out error and Lombardo was hit by a pitch, setting up Liriano’s two-run ground-rule double.
- Deane doubled in Yelin, who had drawn a leadoff walk, for a 3-0 lead in the fifth.
- A single and double combined for a single Rutgers-Camden run during the bottom of the sixth.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Liriano was 3-for-4 while hitting two doubles and driving in a run. Deane’s 2-for-3 effort included a double and an RBI.
- Senior Jack DeFouw (Scotch Plains, N.J./Scotch Plains-Fanwood) pitched 7.0 innings of one-run ball, striking out four and walking two with five hits (4-0).
- Sophomore Darmany Rivas (Bloomfield, N.J./Bloomfield) picked up his second save with 2.0 shutout innings of relief, giving up a hit and tallying a strikeout.
- William Paterson hosts Ramapo Thursday, April 8, at 3:30 p.m.