MONTCLAIR, N.J. – William Paterson (0-1, 0-1 NJAC) suffered a 28-0 football loss at Montclair State (2-1, 2-0 NJAC) April 2 during the Pioneers’ lone game of the 2021 spring season.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- After a scoreless first quarter, the Red Hawks used a 13-yard run and a five-yard pass during the final four minutes of the half to take a 14-0 lead into the intermission.
- Montclair State found the end zone from one yard out at the 14:00 (21-0) and 4:03 (28-0) marks of the third quarter.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Freshman quarterback Spencer Lee (Hasbrouck Heights, N.J./Hasbrouck Heights) was 9-for-22 for 82 yards and an interception. He also punted four times for an average of 36.5 yards.
- Sophomore Terrique Riddick (Bridgeville, Del./Woodbridge) carried 15 times for 81 yards, and freshman Rasheed Woods (Seaford, Del./Cape Henlopen) caught four passes for 34 yards.
- Junior linebacker Sean Maldonato (Haskell, N.J./Lakeland Regional) paced the Pioneer defense with eight tackles (six solo, 1.0 TFL).
- Freshman defensive back Isaiah De La Cruz (Lyndhurst, N.J./Lyndhurst) added five stops to his second-quarter interception. Junior linebacker Jared Salgado (Parsippany, N.J./Parsippany Hills) also made five tackles.
- Due to COVID-related challenges, WP was able to only play one of its three scheduled games.
- The contest decided the NJAC’s North Division title.