WAYNE, N.J. – Junior catcher Steve Yelin (River Edge, N.J./River Dell Regional) contributed three extra-base hits and five RBI as the William Paterson baseball team (7-2) cruised to an 11-3 victory against visiting Rutgers-Camden (0-4) March 26.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Singles by senior center fielder Steven DiGirolamo (Dumont, N.J./Dumont) and senior shortstop Matt Ferrara (Paramus, N.J./Paramus), plus a full-count walk for senior designated hitter Dylan Habeeb (Wayne, N.J./Wayne Hills), led to a run-scoring fielder’s choice off the bat of senior first baseman Carson Weis (River Vale, N.J./Pascack Valley Regional) and a 1-0 WP lead after one inning.
- The Pioneers doubled their advantage in the third with a Yelin double to left and a Weis RBI-single to right center.
- A four-run fourth handed William Paterson a 6-0 advantage. Junior second baseman Colin Lombardo (Edison, N.J./Edison) opened the frame with a base hit and stole second, junior third baseman Chris Liriano (Bergenfield, N.J./Bergenfield) drew a walk and senior left fielder Frankie Deane (Dumont, N.J./Dumont) singled, loading the bases. Two batters later, Ferrara’s base on balls forced across a run, and Yelin followed with a three-run double into left field.
- WP added six more runs during the home half of the sixth. Liriano’s base hit and Deane’s walk led to a DiGirolamo RBI-single, a two-run double by Ferrara and a two-run homer over the left-field fence by Yelin.
- A seventh-inning error, passed ball and groundout resulted in Rutgers-Camden’s first run, and the Scarlet Raptors added two more in the ninth with three base hits and a double.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Yelin finished 3-for-4 with two doubles, a two-run homer, five RBI and two runs scored.
- Ferrara was 3-for-4 while tallying a double, three RBI and two runs, and DiGirolamo posted two hits, an RBI and three runs scored.
- Sophomore Darmany Rivas (Bloomfield, N.J./Bloomfield) improved to 2-0 with 6.0 shutout innings, striking out seven while scattering four hits and a walk.
- Senior Zac Polzer (North Haledon, N.J./Passaic County Tech) allowed one unearned run during 1.0 inning of action, and freshman Pat Warburton (Paramus, N.J./Paramus) tossed the final 2.0 frames while giving up two runs and four hits with one punchout.
- William Paterson plays a doubleheader Saturday, March 27, at New Jersey City at 3:00 p.m.