WAYNE, N.J. – William Paterson (1-0) exploded for a five-run second inning, then added six more in the fifth en route to a 15-1 season-opening baseball victory against visiting New Jersey City (0-1) March 11.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Gothic Knights struck first, using a double and single to plate a run during their first at-bat.
- WP answered with a five-run second inning. Senior catcher Dylan Habeeb (Wayne, N.J./Wayne Hills) and junior third baseman Chris Liriano (Bergenfield, N.J./Bergenfield) singled to open the frame, followed by an RBI-single from senior first baseman Carson Weis (River Vale, N.J./Pascack Valley Regional). An Adrian Alarcon (Belleville, N.J./Belleville) base hit and error plated Liriano, junior second baseman Colin Lombardo (Edison, N.J./Edison) had an infield single and stolen base, and senior center fielder Steven DiGirolamo’s (Dumont, N.J./Dumont) RBI-single to right field and an error made it a 4-1 margin. Junior designated hitter Steve Yelin (River Edge, N.J./River Dell Regional) later doubled to left center, plating WP’s fifth tally of the inning.
- After Liriano was hit by a one-out pitch and Weis singled to left-center field, Alarcon delivered a run-scoring fielder’s choice, making it a 6-1 score after three innings.
- Yelin’s fielder’s choice, stolen base and two wild pitches pushed the Pioneers’ advantage to 7-1 in the fourth.
- Six Pioneers touched the plate during the home half of the fifth inning. Liriano and Weis opened the frame with base hits, then both scored on an error. A two-out Ferrara hit by pitch was followed by Yelin’s two-run double into the left-center gap, junior right fielder Dan Carter (Bloomfield, N.J./Bloomfield) drew a four-pitch walk, and Habeeb belted a double to left center, making it a 13-1 game.
- Ferrara’s bases-loaded single plated Weis and senior left fielder Frankie Deane (Dumont, N.J./Dumont), finishing the WP scoring during the bottom of the eighth.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Yelin finished 2-for-4 with two doubles, a pair of runs scored and three RBI, while Ferrara was 3-for-4, scored once and drove in two runs.
- Weis went 3-for-5 while adding two RBI and a run scored, and Habeeb had two hits, including a double, two RBI and a run. Liriano posted two hits and touched home three times.
- Junior Jason Palmeri (Glen Rock, N.J./Glen Rock) (1-0) pitched 6.0 innings of six-hit, one-run ball. He struck out three batters and walked two.
- Senior Jason Rivera (Clifton, N.J./Clifton) covered 2.0 innings, striking out one while giving up one hit. Junior Tyler Searles (Dumont, N.J./Dumont) struck out two of the four batters he faced in the ninth.
- The game between NJAC members will not be counted in the league standings. Conference play begins April 3.
- For the Pioneers, the contest was their first in a year and a day. WP’s 2020 season ended abruptly after a 7-6 home win March 10 against St. Joseph’s-Long Island.
- William Paterson goes to No. 12 Kean for a non-conference doubleheader Saturday, March 13, at 2:30 p.m.