WAYNE, N.J. – season-high 18 points led all scorers as William Paterson men’s basketball (2-2, 2-2 NJAC) rallied from a halftime deficit to secure a 60-55 victory over Rutgers-Camden (0-8, 0-8 NJAC) Feb. 27.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- With WP in front 12-11 at the 11:20 mark of the opening half, RUC knocked down consecutive three-pointers to gain a five-point edge (17-12, 8:34). Mignone tallied six points during an 8-2 burst that put the Pioneers on top, 20-19, but the Scarlet Raptors used their own 10-3 run to close the half and took a 29-23 lead into the break.
- Down by nine, 34-25, early in the second half, William Paterson outscored Rutgers-Camden 25-4 over a span of 10:29, to open a 12-point cushion (50-38, 6:33). RUC fought back to make it a four-point contest, 52-48, with just over three minutes to play, but WP hit four clutch shots from the charity stripe in the final minute to seal the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Mignone finished 8-for-13 (.615) from the field and added three steals.
- Adryan Lopez (Garfield, N.J./Lyndhurst) posted 13 points, his third double digits scoring effort, and handed out a team-high four assists.
- Yvens Monfleury (Newark, N.J./American History), the conference’s leader in rebounding, grabbed 10 boards and added seven points.
- Cody Ripato (Tollesboro, Ky./Augusta) filled the stat sheet with six points, eight rebounds and three assists in 31 minutes of action.
- WP now awaits the announcement of the NJAC Tournament field. Quarterfinals are slated to begin on Friday, March 5.