CAMDEN, N.J. – Junior guard Adryan Lopez (Garfield, N.J./Lyndhurst) scored a team-high 17 points and sophomore forward Yvens Monfleury (Newark, N.J./American History) posted his second double-double of the season as William Paterson men’s basketball (1-2, 1-2 NJAC) never trailed during a 56-45 conference road win at Rutgers-Camden (0-7, 0-7 NJAC) Feb. 26.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In the first half, William Paterson’s defense limited Rutgers-Camden to just 3-of-20 (.150) shooting, including 1-for-12 from beyond-the-arc, and forced 11 turnovers as the Pioneers opened a 25-point lead, 35-10, and took a commanding 35-11 advantage into the locker room.
- After intermission, a trifecta from Monfleury gave WP its largest lead of the night, 45-17, with 12:51 remaining. The Scarlet Raptors kept things interesting with a 12-2 run over the next five minutes, but consecutive layups by Caleb Reed (Linden, N.J./Union Catholic) and Monfleury restored the 20-point edge as William Paterson eased to the 11-point triumph.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Lopez paced the Pioneers with 17 points on 6-of-11 (.545) from the floor, his second double digit scoring output in as many games.
- Monfleury, the leading rebounder in the conference with 11.0 per contest, finished his night with 16 tallies and 10 boards, while Cody Ripato (Tollesboro, Ky./Augusta) chipped-in nine.
- WP closes out the regular season when its hosts Rutgers-Camden Saturday, Feb. 27 at 2:00 p.m.