MONTCLAIR, N.J. – Sophomore forward Yvens Monfleury (Newark, N.J./American History) registered a double-double in his team debut, and Jadon Cepeda (West New York, N.J./Memorial) added a career-best 22 points, but William Paterson men’s basketball (0-1, 0-1 NJAC) suffered an 83-70 season-opening setback at Montclair State (1-0, 1-0 NJAC) on Friday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Monfleury paced the WP in the opening stanza by scoring 19 points and pulling down eight rebounds, but the Red Hawks were able to force 15 first-half turnovers and used those miscues to take a 47-39 lead into the break.
- After Cepeda’s jumper kept it a one-score game early in the second frame, Montclair State responded by using a 21-9 run to build a 16-point lead and never looked back, claiming an 83-70 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Monfleury finished with 23 points on 10-for-14 (.714) shooting and led all players with 14 rebounds and three blocks.
- Cepeda’s 22 tallies included eight from the charity stripe.
- Senior guard Domenic Mignone (Rutherford, N.J./Rutherford) chipped in 11 tallies, his 44th career double-digit scoring output.
- The Pioneers host the Red Hawks Saturday, Feb. 6 at 2:00 p.m.