NEW JERSEY — Below you will find the most up-to-date information on coronavirus news impacting New Jersey. You can find additional resources and coverage on our coronavirus page.
Gov. Phil Murphy held his daily coronavirus briefing. Watch in video below.
Federal unemployment benefits
- Millions of families left hanging after Sen. Mitch McConnell sent Senate home for a long weekend without a solution for Americans
- New cases: 699 — Total cases: 181,660 (since March 4)
- Murphy: Even with the increases, NJ remains one of the 10 states with the lowest number of active cases in the country.
- Positivity rate: 2.15%
- NJ remains one of the lowest daily percent positivity
- Rate of transmission: 1.35, Murphy anticipates that it will grow.
- “We are standing in a very dangerous place,” Murphy said.
- Parties and overcrowding “has to stop.”
- ICU/CCU admissions: 113
- Death toll: 13,944
- As of the latest hospital data, there were NO in-hospital deaths over a 24-hour period ending at 10:30 p.m. Thursday night — The first time since Mar. 10. However, sometimes data lags, and some similar reports in NYC have proven false.
- NJ self-response rate: 64.7%
- Visit 2020Census.gov to make sure you’re counted.
- Census 2020 Push Week activities taking place.
Recent studies on COVID-19
- Studies show patients 18-34 were not back to health after two weeks of illness.
- “Sobering reminder” to people, especially young adults that this disease has lingering effects, Health Commissioner Judith Perischilli said.
- Likely state will just get rain and wind
- NJ is closely monitoring the storm
Would you consider lowering outdoor gathering capacity if cases increase?
- The focus is on indoor gatherings and parties
Will gyms reopen anytime soon?
- When we get there, there will be restrictions on it. (No set date)
What’s the threshold in the rate of transmission that would cause the state to look into rolling back on reopenings (outdoor dining, etc.)?
- “You should assume we’re there.” Assuming trends continue the way they are, more restrictions will be put in place.
- If we have a good weekend, we’ll reconsider.
Reopening school year
- “It’s not going to be normal,” Murphy said.
Jackson Airbnb: Has anyone tested positive?
- No known cases associated with party as of right now.
As of Friday afternoon, there are 181,660 confirmed COVID-19 cases in New Jersey with 13,944 coronavirus fatalities.